Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
A Few Do's and Don'ts
Fire damage can wreak havoc on a home or your business, and usually it happens out of nowhere. When the unfortunate event of a fire happens, our team at SERVPRO of Loveland is here to assist you 24/7 with fire restoration and cleanup.
At SERVPRO of Loveland, we pride ourselves in being a responsive partner in remediation and restoration. While you do wait for our emergency services to arrive, there are a few steps you can take to get started. Please remember to make safety your first priority.
Below are some tips to know after suffering commercial or residential fire damage.
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (970) 685-3652
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.